Family health

Grandma blames HHA for family’s health issues

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – A Huntsville grandmother says the Huntsville Housing Authority is ignoring her claims of toxic mold, even after years of doctors warning of the toll it takes on her family.

For Katina Taylor, her husband and granddaughter, Saturday will not be Christmas at home. In fact, they fear there will be no Christmas at all.

“There’s nothing else I can do but get out of here to save my life and the life of my family,” Taylor said. “I fear for myself and the lives of my family at this point.”

Although she doesn’t have enough money to find another Huntsville Housing Authority unit, let alone buy Christmas presents, Taylor said her doctor advised her to move for her health and that of her. his family.

“While I was there my husband was diagnosed with lung disease and suffered a stroke from this toxic mould. I have vertigo and more. My granddaughter had to have surgery, emergency surgery because she had sleep apnea as she snored loudly and couldn’t breathe.

The Taylors are now in their second motel room since leaving Dec. 3.

Photos taken during a mold check inside the home’s locked HVAC closet reveal what appears to be mold along the metal and pipes.

“I don’t have access (to the HVAC closet), so I didn’t know the mold was there when I moved here,” Taylor said.

Meanwhile, HHA executive director Antonio McGinnis was unimpressed with the footage.

“I’m not a mold expert, so at this point I’m not going to comment (on the images),” McGinnis said. “All I can do is comment on the results we got from the professionals, and once they provided us with the results or the assessment, our team followed up and did what they recommended to us. to do.”

The aforementioned professionals hired by HHA – Integrity Heating and Cooling – concluded on paper that the house was not dangerously unsanitary.

“We hire professionals to do whatever was recommended during the assessment,” McGinnis repeated. “After that, the job is pretty much done, and that’s how we treat all of our residents.”

Before moving, however, a November 22 inspection, Taylor ordered herself by Mold testing company determined that the house was “uninhabitable and poses an extreme safety and health risk”.

The grandmother now wants answers and help for her family.

“I paid $1,875 to do this test…I’m going to hand it over. I’m going to give it to whoever I need to give it to,” Taylor said.

Taylor told News 19 that she now relies on her daughter and her good Samaritans to stay on top of food and medical bills